Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke & Bone is first of a trilogy and is an epic fantasy by Laini Taylor. And with flawless showing not telling world building writing with interesting exciting fun characters and a great story to tell, it left me not wanting to put it down.

Now I need the second book. ASAP.



I have seen this book out for a while now and I do not know why it took me so long until I finally just picked it up and read it, because I loved it! This book has to be a favorite for me no doubt. The writing was so gorgeous and the world that Laini Taylor created vivid and so different and exciting to read.

When I first started reading this, I had barely anything to know. I heard a few up and down things other than others saying how fantastic these books were, and I wanted to see for myself. And when I first started and got into the world of our main character Karou, the peacock blue haired artist, I was almost surprised of how different the whole plot was from what I thought it was going to be about(no i didn't read the summary either). And if you think that Karou's name is weird, trust me, it won't be weird when you have other things to think about,

Like how she grew up with monsters, or chimaera. Or how one of those chimaera, her father for all intensive purposes, Brimstone, buys/collects...wait for it...teeth.

Teeth!

How can that not just intrigue you? I for one when that started I had to know what the heck these teeth were used for. Not that I am going to tell you. I will tell you though what surprised me most was not the monsters or the teeth but that this book is actually partly an angel book. Yes another one of those. BUT it isn't another one of those at all! And that is how we get our male character that is I must say just smoldering, Akiva.

“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.”

The characters in Daughter of Smoke and Bone were phenomenal. Karou was just a great female lead, nothing scaring her throughout the story even as she learns more and more about the problem she has had all of her life. Feeling like part of herself was missing. As if she walked into the kitchen for a reason and can't remember why she went there, as she tried to explain to another during the book. She was such an original and interesting character as up until now she spent birthdays getting wishes, knows 26 I believe languages, and is the hither and thither girl for Brimstone.

Even the secondary friend of Karou characters were awesome and so unique to the story. But you know what, lets not talk about how great the other artist friend was, let's talk about Akiva. Because I have never seen anything like him in all of my reading. Mysterious, sexy, an angel that is portrayed in this book as pretty much war fighting killers.

Do you need to know more?



Comments

Popular Posts