The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

The Sky is Everywhere was just...beautiful. I have never read anything like it before. The writing was gorgeous, the poetry, the story.



Did I mention that there was poetry? (Yes, I know I did) Because it was fantastic written on little illustrated wrappers and paper. So unique. I have heard such good little things about this book and I am so happy that I got to read it. It was just what I needed, perfection.

“The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

Really, what got this book a great rating from me was all the emotions that were pulled out of me while reading. I was so emotionally invested while reading this and I couldn't even help it. Our main character Lennie (or John Lennon depending on who you talk to) was so real and broken. Her grief over her sister hit me in the heart almost as much as it did her.

Throughout the entire story as Lennie grew, she couldn't help whenever she did laugh or smile thinking, 'what the heck am I doing? my sister is dead...' It just made me love her more and want to wrap my arms around her.

“Grief is forever. It doesn't go away; it becomes part of you, step for step, breath for breath.”

But even if I did love Lennie most of the time. She really frustrated me to when she did some sorta unforgivable things in different views. She has to make decisions, and though I feel for her sadness, other times unlike the ones I want to console her, I want to slap her out of her little screwed up bubble of not wanting to do anything for herself besides be sad.



And throughout the book she did become more alive and live again which was great. I was so happy when that happened when she meets a guy, Joe, who was so great and really understood Lennie somehow even if he didn't. Smiling and a little goofy, he was a very different sorta YA male than I have read lately. You know, the dark mysterious ones we all swoon over? Well he wasn't like that, and I think for this story, it was exactly what we needed to make this story just what it was.

And as I said a few times now and will say again I assure you, it was awesome.

VERDICT:


I really loved the Sky is Everywhere. I had no clue what I was getting into when I started reading and I was more than pleasantly surprised. Such a beautifully emotional contemporary story that I already recommended to someone right after I read it. (She is loving it as well right now).
So if you need a down to earth book some more than interesting characters in a real situation. And say if you like a little beautiful story with some poetry. This is for you and I encourage whoever is reading this to read it, because the story is like a breath of fresh air which I really enjoyed.



Comments

Popular Posts