The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

This book. Just wow. I was expecting a great story from what I had heard about this book but I still can't believe how much I enjoyed reading this book.

I went into this book though pretty blind, which I believe is most likely the best way, and started reading it one day while on a trip in a car and I rarely put it down before I finished it a few days later. With each page I was more hooked to find out what happened next.



The characters at first took me a moment to just go with the flow with since they were very different from who I am I suppose as well as being in such a different lifestyle than what our main character Tatiana and her family live in. As well as the fact that once the romance began I could already see it playing out in front of me, the worrying fate of star crossed lovers.
But surprisingly once the story started within WWII in Leningrad Russia before and during the blockade everything and everyone came together into a very in the moment raw story of hardship and romance. That was something I wasn't prepared for.

The Bronze Horseman is a essentially historical fiction/epic romance story.

“Ask yourself these three questions, Tatiana Metanova, and you will know who you are. Ask: What do believe in? What do you hope for? What do you love?”

I learned so much from reading this book which I never expect to be honest. Throughout the novel, though I know it was not meant to be extremely historically accurate as it was a love story, I fought that it was interesting, as it was heartbreaking, at times to see what actually happened during a part of the war I never heard of. The city of Leningrad (now known as St. Petersburg I found out) and the blockade of when Germany invaded Russia. It caused many families to try and flee or survive the city, many who stayed died of sickness and hunger which this story did not sugarcoat, at moments I even might have had to hold make a tear or two for the lives of Titiana and her family. I saw Tatiana have such a change in responsibility and character development compared to the beginning of the novel. It was almost astounding.

Of course, since there is romance. We must talk about it.



Hm, what shall I say? It was a difficult ride to the end with heartbreak and irritation with characters for not just telling the truth to one another. Alexander and Tatiana were great together. They were meant to be, yet throughout the novel they made it so hard throughout their stubbornness and sometimes fighting just to fight I felt like.

"I love you breathlessly, my amazing man."

Overall though, I don't want to spoil all the issues they did have to overcome, but it was a great romance with a slow build in the beginning which I really enjoyed as well as the conversations that took part between Tatiana and Alexander (or should I say the magnificent Shura?). They helped each other survive and love when they had no one else and I thought that was really special. I also really enjoyed Alex and his story that made even more of an obstacle leading us to the end.

I can't wait to see what kind of romance and exciting fanatics they have kindling in the next book though, after I will say, an ending that will make you both very mad, but content. Until you get the next novel anyway I am sure.


Comments

Popular Posts