Favorite Books of 2016


This is it everyone. It is time for me to figure out what books I LOVED this year since lets face it, they are the main thing I love in general.

2016 was an interesting reading year for me. As I finished up my final year in high school and moved onto my first semester of college, my reading habits have also seemed to change drastically from how I remember my young high school self reading about a book a day and still getting all the work and writing done. I tip my hat to you, past me, I don't know if you were as good of a procrastinator as I think you were or what, but I wish I still had that kind of skill. School work now has been taken up by my writerly crisis moments that appear every few weeks and writing...I am getting writing my novel in wherever I can so maybe one day I will be on a list like this. Maybe. Trying to be positive, but I know my luck isn't that good. But onward!

According to Goodreads I have read about 80 new to me books this year, not counting my MANY rereads that always take place when I am missing an old favorite.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas



The Queen herself has done it again and this is my absolute favorite book of hers so far. I thought that the Throne of Glass series was going to undo me. But my my was I mistaken as we continue through the world hat first intrigued me and does further as the threat of war, love, intrigue and so much else happens because this book is awesome. Possibly a favorite of ALL time. High praise. But this book is worth it. Feyre as well after all may very well be one of my favorite characters as well, strong and feminine with great banter between who? The fabulous, the one hell of a high lord, the delectable Rhysand!

...I want a Rhysand.

I have to wait for him though. Wait and wait for May 2017 for the next book. A Court of Wings and Ruin, where are you? I have already read A Court of Mist and Fury at the very least six times over and over and I don't see the reason why I should stop as I mark my favorite pages and gush to random friends who have no idea who Rhysand is or this book or what I am even talking about as I squeal.

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness



A Discovery of Witches was fantastic. The first book was my favorite though it was a very well put together trilogy and I am pretty sure Deborah Harkness will be on my to read if she ever comes out with another book because this one was so intelligent with the combination of history, science, and magic that intertwines with our characters. I know that I will always have some witchy and vampire love in my heart since that is what got me first reading to begin with.


The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly




These books have made me a Jennifer Donnelly fan. I first read her book Revolution back in middle school, but know I remember why I loved her writing so much. Dramatic? Sure. Romance? Absolutely. Set in Jack the Ripper era? Sounds good to me as I travel back in time and suddenly want to run tea shop of my own. Though I am pretty sure it would be a lot less difficult than sitting around sipping tea and reading this massive novel all day long.


The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath


I have heard this book referenced so many times, and now...now I have finally read it after finding myself a copy in a used book shop. If I can count this as a sort of classic, I will. It may very well be my favorite classic ever if that is the case as I now am stocking up my Sylvia Plath collection overall from her diaries to poetry. The story is so reflective and the prose gorgeous. Overall, I do think that this book hit me at a very good point in my life as well when I needed this novel- a thing that I have heard a lot when it comes to people reading this one. It just sat really well since I read it when I needed to. If you have been putting this one off as I have, it is time to change that.


Men at Work Series by Tiffany Reisz


I really enjoyed these books. My first ever Harlequin books that I did once look at on the shelves of convience stores and go "eh..." sort of look like cheesy books even more awful than those ones with Fabio on the covers. Let me tell you, Tiffany Reisz knows what she is doing here. The three Men at Work books including Her Halloween Treat, Her Naughty Holiday, and One Hot December that were released through this past Fall made me laugh and enjoy every page and sexy bit. Harlequin Blaze...you have a new customer. Tiffany...well you had me from the first time I read anything you write. As usual.


Colleen Hoover


All of her books?
Sure, why not...


Yes, 2016 is the year I jumped on the Colleen Hoover bus and read all of her books. I feel like it was so long ago that I read Hopeless as my first book by her since it was free on e-book last January. All caught up now, I need whatever book she is concocting in that heartbreaking romantic brain of hers. I almost forgot to put this on the list, but I figured, yes, Colleen Hoover and her books (especially Slammed and the most recent It Ends With Us) deserve to be here.


milk and honey by Rupi Kaur


It has been a big year for me in the poetry genre. I have loved poetry and followed poets including Lang Leav and sexy poetry writer that spoke to my soul from Micheal Faudet. One of the stand out poetry books this year though- you may have heard of it- it's Milk & Honey. Rupi Kaur out did herself with this collection and now I follow her on social media as well. A high honor I assure you. This collection is full of prose, illustration, and simple lines of poetry that make me want to page back through it once and a while.


The Hating Game by Sally Thorne



Oh my. Oh my. This book. The Hating Game is a last minute addition to this list because it is fighting for my top top spot of both best debut ever and greatest novel of 2016. Seriously, if I could go back to last night before dinner and tell myself to savor it, I would. Even though it would obviously not stop me from doing exactly what I did, which was stay up until 2 a.m. to finish it in one sitting. The romance and the dialogue sets this book apart as well as its humor. A rom-com, but better. I want everyone to read this one just so I can gush about it. I can see now why bookstagram has fallen in love with this book and characters.

I have now too.



So that is it for my favorites I have read in 2016. I feel like I should have more, but these are the fabulous few that stood out in my heart. Happy new year, and happy reading!

Comments

Popular Posts