All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greewood

And my first book of the year was All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood. I should preface this with pretty much going into this book after seeing it on a trusted books instagram-ers page and only slightly reading the summary. It sat in the my goodreads 'to read' list for a while before I couldn't stand it anymore and got for myself as I birthday present in its hardcover beautiful glory. And now I have read it and I am a bit blown away.

“I love you. I love you all the way.” 
― Bryn Greenwood, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things


So yes, it was a very good pick for my first book of the year. Phew.

From the moment I picked it up, it was yet again another novel I thought I would read a bit of before putting it away for the night and getting some writing done. That did not happen though. Nope, I read this stunning story of hardship and the harsh reality between love, family, and life under the stars all the way through before I reached the last page. And still, I wanted more even the story concluded with all I could have asked of these broken characters. More of Wavy, Kellen, and so many other characters that we dove into the minds of through different point of views that made this book truely magical. This coming from someone who isn't a big fan of multiple point of views when I get into a character. Impressive.

“Summer had so many tricks. The nights lasted longer than the days, even though the angle of the Earth’s axis meant that was impossible. The night couldn’t be longer, but summer made it seem that way. Summer sneaked time for me, taking a minute from February, three minutes from English class in March, ten whole minutes from a boring Thursday in April. Summer stole time to give me another hour under the stars with Kellen.” 
― Bryn Greenwood, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

This novel of course, if you know anything about it and the relationship of characters is not your average coming of age novel or romance. The moral intrigue and interesting way of characterization is what really rounded this story. Throughout, I was questioning the morality and wonder of it all. It had me squirming in some parts with its lovely prose and rooting for the story in others as I remained captured the entire way through.


“Your family is real, but mine isn't? Real people with real feelings, but my family isn't real to you. You think. I'm a character. A story. Those women you talk about. Not real people to you. Stupid women. I'm real. I'm as real as you are. My family is real like your family.” 
― Bryn Greenwood, All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

Though never in such a situation as the characters as well, I couldn't help but relate to them in the smallest ways. From Amy in the first chapter needing to feel as if she belonged and was more. Wavy and her loneliness that simply became apart of her. Even Grandma who baked the cookies with soft middles, I related to in tiny ways of being unique. Each of them constantly keept me engaged and FEELING.

It seems like it is all about the feels for me, guys. And this book had it as well as plot and a fresh story as different as its characters with light and dark woven throughout like the stars in the sky Wavy and Kellen admire in the late summer nights as they tried to form the love and family they have always wanted and needed together.


As you all know if you saw my previous post, the first book of the year I feel means something to me. It is as if it has a small touch on how my year will go. With this novel, I can only hope it means greatness for my own. You know, if I ever have time to write with all these fantastic books popping out at me.

Of course, I will never be angry at that.

What was everyone else's first reads of 2017? I hope they were amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts