A Page or Two for June

Another month of course means that their are more books to be read, especially as I get back into the reading groove, as well as the grove of getting back to my usual book loving self I seemed to have put on the shelf last year after school began. I don't really know why. All I am, is happy that I never have to hang up the magnificent novel pages, whether they be crisp, deckled, or dog eared, ever again.

Call me out on it if I do, sound good?



How else after all will you hear about the fantastic books out in the world that you must read? Unless you track me down or take a good look at my bookstagram shots, that question will remain. But right here, right now, we have a good reading wrap up as I work my way up to soaring back through books like it is my job! (I wish it was my job)

One of the first books I read this month was The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert. This one has been on my to read list for a long time even though I hadn't looked very far into what it was about. Romance, cake...why did it take me so long to get this book in my hands from that description alone? More questions.

What isn't is how I really enjoyed this book of how chef and restaurant owner, Lou, tries to make her dreams into a foodie success until a food critic who only writes bad reviews possibly makes a big mistake in this fun rom-com novel that was right up my alley ever since I have found that rom-coms are a new must read after watching too many early 2000s films during final exams week.



Now that exams are over and Book Expo came to the book world at the beginning of June, I jumped into my first galley I picked up on recommendation from another blogger. The Undertaker's Daughter by Sara Blaedel is not my usual genre, but I won't lie, I still weeks later think back on this psychological mystery about a daughter from Denmark to a small town in the US to hear her father's will only to find that the funeral home he ran is now hers, and something is not quite right around the town.

Like a good romance, the beginning of this new series of Blaedel's is a slow burn to get into the this new town and world she is setting up. Consider me intrigued.

After reading The Undertaker's Daughter, I found myself falling back into the whole "I don't know what to read now" pit even though I had a good pile of galleys stacked up next to my already overflowing book shelves. So, it was decided that I needed to do what I always do when I can't decide what new book I should make a home in.


I would visit an old on.

So rereading Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass series it was before the cover for the sixth book would be released. I started with Heir of Fire, my personal favorite of the books so far, and went on from there to Queen of Shadows and Empire of Storms. Reading these, some of my first high school reads I fell in love with, I felt at home with some of the characters and even catching little hints of things I didn't notice before.

Another reread included Hopeless by Colleen Hoover which was just about as good the second time since the first time I read it, it was my first Colleen Hoover book. The emotions before. If a fast emotional read is what you need, go no further. CoHo has you covered.

Once that reread came to a close, I was ready to hop back into some new reads. Next up, The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli. I think this one might be my most excited about book this month. Seriously, THIS BOOK. I think what was best was that it took me by surprise how much I enjoyed it, picking it up with no expectation at all. It was cute and funny and relatable with diverse and dynamic characters as Molly navigates the world of crushes and love. Love, which she can't believe even happens as often as it does. A good point and beautifully put which you'll see if you pick up this beauty of a YA contemporary.

Plus, if you get the hardcover, the spine looks very pretty in the nude. Look!



Finally, as we come to a close on how I read a lot more books than I actually thought I did. The final book I finished this month was....drum roll...The Awkward Path to Getting Lucky by Summer Heacock!

Did I mention how much I love a good rom-com, because here is another that I even tried to bring along with me to work just in case. Of course the just in case moment never happened, but still. Just in case. I read this either way in two sittings and I loved it as much as I thought I would after talking to Summer about it at Book Expo. Indeed, she was correct to label this book as The Vagina Book. Because you know what? It certainly was, and I applaud her and main character Kat, who not only has her vaginismus, but also runs a kick ass cake shop. A cake shop promptly named Cup My Cakes that gets a few interesting customers including the adorable blushing Ben Cleary.

I only wish that I could be working there to see it and gain the fabulous lady friends of the shop. News shows with elephants, surprise packages, burlesque classes- are there any positions open. I could throw some edible glitter around and eat the reject cuppies!

While I stuff my face with sweets and smile over great reads, does anyone else have any good recs to add to my never ending to read list? I am always willing to take them and of course hear what you all read? Was June a reading month for you? Seriously, let's chat books.

Happy reading!





Comments

Popular Posts